TBD-1 DEVASTATOR from Airfix in 1/72 scale
I represent a plane of VT-8 from USS HORNET. Note: The overpainted “8 –“ on the fuselage is intentionally.
The special thing about the kit: This time I took apart an old, already built kit from Airfix, to build it a second time. I did this because I am an Airfix fan and this old kit is hard to find or very expensive. I decided to make an experiment just to see if I can do a job better than the first try.
I carefully disassembled the kit and put it in oven cleaner. After about 2 hours I was able to carefully wash off the old paint with a dish brush. Since the old kit is over 50 years old, it has typical features of that time: rows of rivets that are much too large, a rudimentary cockpit and canopy parts that are too thick.